Tuesday 30 September 2014

Yarndale 2014

I didn't go to Yarndale last year, I wanted to but it was the weekend that we were moving Daniel to university so I couldn't make it. I've had the dates for this year's show in my diary since they were released, though I wasn't sure I'd be able to go right until the last minute as we always seem to be busy on a weekend and something could always crop up right at the last minute.

Anyway, I did manage to make it, however, none of my friends are crafters and Eleanor didn't fancy it so I had no one to go with. I considered going on my own, but in the end, Mick came with me. I thought he'd stick out like a sore thumb but there were lots of other men there so he didn't feel out of place at all and actually, I think he quite enjoyed it.

We parked at the park and ride at the Skipton Building Society which had been organised for the event. There was a bit of a queue for the mini buses which were transporting people to the Auction Mart but we didn't have to wait too long. Transport for Yarndale was very well organised with parking available on and off site, the park and ride at the Skipton Building Society and special Yarndale buses ferrying passengers to and from the train station.

Many photos of the bunting were posted on blogs after last year's show and I was looking forward to seeing it for myself, it didn't disappoint. It was hanging in the Hub and all around the show too.


I was also looking forward to seeing all the mandalas which had been sent in from around the world, 1182 of them in total. I didn't manage to photograph them all, but I got quite a few.





Some of the mandalas were laid out on a table with a bit of information about them and there was a list of all the countries they've been sent from.


We didn't walk through the park so we missed the bikes which had been decorated in local schools with the help of the Yarndale organisers so it was nice that a couple were in the Mart for us to see.



I didn't know anything about The Egg Cosy Challenge. Apparently, Yarndale teamed up with The Tempest Arms to set this competition. The idea was to make a set of four egg cosies from yarn or fibre of any kind. There was a great prize for the winner, a one night stay for up to 12 people at the Lumley Fee Bunkhouse in the Lake District. The entries were being sold at Yarndale, aren't they fab?




There were so many yarny things to see, I could have spent a week there and still missed so much.




One thing which really appealed to me was all the felting on show. I loved this owl from Alula's Garden.


These felted animals were fabulous. They were from jennymade and I was very nearly tempted by a hare kit to have a go myself.


If I were a better crocheter I would have definitely succumbed at this next stall. These animals are from the Edward's Menagerie book by Kerry Lord on the Toft Alpaca stand.



I really need to learn more about crochet just so that I can make this fabulous giraffe.


In fact, there were lots of knitted and crochet toys on display. I loved these from Sue Stratford at The Knitting Hut too.


I've made a few crochet blankets now but never a knitted one. I've been thinking about this for a while now, but a blanket I saw at the show has really given me inspiration. Isn't this beautiful? It's from Gwennol Designer Handknits.


I had to get a photo of a Lucy creation. I'd seen this Autumn Wreath on her Attic 24 blog, it was a little surreal seeing it in the flesh so to speak.


I also spent a bit of time admiring the beautiful animals which had been brought to Yarndale to show where some of the fibre we use comes from. These alpacas were brought by County Alpacas.




There were angora rabbits too.



This gorgeous sheep loved being stroked so much that it closed its eyes and drifted off to sleep, but I didn't get a photo of the one which wagged its tail every time you scratched its head.


I didn't buy much for myself, just a couple of balls of Creative Cotton Print:-


some pretty buttons:-


and I subscribed to Simply Knitting and Simply Crochet. They were offering a trial offer of three issues for £3 on five different magazines so I chose these two. They gave me a free copy of Simply Knitting which just happens to be the Christmas issue so I'm looking forward to finding a bit of time to sit down and enjoy it.


To be honest, I found it all a bit overwhelming. I don't know what I was expecting but I didn't think it would be as huge as it was, there was so much choice. I read a few reviews from people who had attended last year and they said the same so I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way. I did manage to pick up a few Christmas presents though, none of which I can show you, but I'm very pleased with them and I'm sure the recipients will be too.

Mick wandered off on his own a few times, noticably after I'd expressed an interest in something, so I'm sure some things I admired will appear in my Christmas stocking.

Having been to Yarndale once, I'm now looking forward to next year, however, I shall be more organised next time. I think it would be good to go with some projects in mind to shop for, but I feel I was very cautious this time when deciding what to spend my money on, even though Mick was urging me to treat myself. A little more frivolity is called for next year I think. I'm starting saving now.

After we left Yarndale, we wandered around Skipton for a while. The market traders were just starting to clear away their stalls but the town was still busy. I hadn't seen anywhere in Yarndale selling individual balls of Stylecraft Special DK so I visited The Fent Shop to pick up some more yarn for Eleanor's Ripple Blanket.


As you can see, I was running quite low.


My basket is now replenished and I'm hoping that this will now see the blanket finished, I haven't got that much left to do.


I picked up quite a few cards and leaflets at Yarndale so I intend to visit lots of websites over the coming weeks.


One thing I've certainly taken away from Yarndale is inspiration, I've got so many projects buzzing around in my head that I don't know where to begin. Perhaps finishing the projects I've got on the go at the moment would be a good place to start.

48 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your photos and experiences of Yarndale Jo - I have never been so its great to see some photos, and it all looks very creative and colourful. The bunting and mandalas are especially creative, and its lovely to think of the crocheters from all over the world who enjoyed crocheting them and how chuffed they must feel to be a part of it.
    Glad you enjoyed your visit and found it inspiring, but I know what you mean about being overwhelmed - when I've been to big quilting or stitching events at Olympia or Alexandra Palace there is just too much to take in, and after a while you feel almost numbed, sated by it all!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to seeing the mandalas and bunting, it's wonderful when so many creative people together produce something so visually stunning. I thoroughly enjoyed Yarndale but I wasn't expecting it to be anything like it was. I shall be more prepared next year and ready to take it all in, as well as doing a bit more shopping.

      Delete
  2. So much to do - if we only had time, if we only had time?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Family life just takes over some times.

      Delete
  3. Wow, it did look a bit overwhelming. Love the felted animals, keep thinking I'd like to try and do one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was huge, there was so much to see that it was hard to take it all in. They do sell weekend tickets and I think they're a very good idea actually, I could have gone round both days and I still wouldn't have seen it all. The felted animals were fab, I'm hoping that a kit might just turn up in my Christmas stocking.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo, I'm glad you enjoyed Yarndale! I know what you mean about being overwhelmed, I was exactly the same last year and didn't buy much, so I was determined to make up for it this year! I still don't think I went mad, but I did buy some yarn this time with a pattern in mind, as well as some that I just liked the colour of! Like you, I came away feeling inspired. I did buy a hare needle felting kit, so I'm looking forwards to having a go at that one day. And I've been looking into hand spinning yarn, because all those plaited hanks of soft fluffy wool in gorgeous colours were so tempting! Maybe by next year I'll have treated myself to a drop spindle ;-) I can't believe how much I'm looking forwards to Yarndale 2015 already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a few reviews last year where people were quite overwhelmed by it all so I don't think we're alone. Glad you made up for it this year though, I intend to do the same next year. Those needle felted hares were so cute, I'm hoping that a kit manages to find its way in to my Christmas stocking, and I loved the Airedale Terriers on the same stand. I've never really fancied having a go at spinning but I enjoyed watching demonstrations on Saturday, as well as fondling all the fluffy wool. I too am looking forward to Yarndale 2015 already, the date's in my Filofax.

      Delete
  5. I keep looking at Edward's Menagerie too and am in two minds whether to add it to my Christmas wish list. It's daft as surely it's just a matter of practising our crochet and we can do anything - isn't it!!!!!! Glad you had a good time in Yarndale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to add Edward's Menagerie to my wish list. Sometimes, the only way to learn is to get stuck in and pick it up as you go, that's how I've learnt the crochet that I have already, so it stands to reason, as you say, that it's just a matter of practising. OK, I've talked myself in to it, Edward's Menagerie and Toft Alpaca yarn is now on my Christmas list.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had a great time at Yarndale. I love the little heart shaped buttons with the butterflies on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful time, I can't wait for next year's show now. I loved those buttons as soon as I saw them. I don't use many buttons but they'll go in my tin and wait for just the right project.

      Delete
  7. You clearly enjoyed yourself, and judging by the photos I think that I wouldn't have minded having a stroll round looking at the mandalas, animals and various other exhibits. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much to see. I didn't think Mick would enjoy wandering round a yarn show but there was plenty there to keep even him interested. I have to say that the animals were a favourite.

      Delete
  8. Wow I think I would have thought I'd have died and gone to heaven if I went there! I'd have to save lots of money as I would want to buy so much too!
    Glad you had a good time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to save up for next year. It's a great show with some fabulous exhibitors, and everyone's so friendly too.

      Delete
  9. I went last year with john and also found it a bit overwhelming. Didn't go this year but might next . I haven't finished playing with the things I bought last year! Loved it though. Eleanor xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it overwhelming. There's just so much to see that I didn't know where to start and wandered around a bit aimlessly at the start. I shall have a better idea of what to expect next year.

      Delete
  10. Such a lot of glorious colour! And so many temptations. I'm off to the Ally Pally knitting & Stitching show next week with my knitty group, can't wait.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much colour, it was fabulous. I'd love to go to Ally Pally, I've heard so much about it over the years. I look forward to hearing all about it once you've been.

      Delete
  11. Lucky you, what a fabulous day out. I had seen some of the mandalas and the Autumn Wreath on Lucy's blog and on Facebook the colours are wonderful. I think you were very restrained in your spending, I'm not sure I would have been :-). I nipped into the Fent Shop in August when we were last in Skipton but I thought the fabric side had got a little expensive, I bought some Christmas fabric £2 per metre cheaper locally for the same one as the Fent shop had. Enjoy your magazines they were a good bargain !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day out. I was quite restrained in my spending, I'm usually fairly careful with money and find it hard to spend without thinking about the purchase, but I figure if I save up with Yarndale in mind, I'll find it easier to buy more next year. The Fent Shop is great for Stylecraft as it carries most of the colours and I don't know another shop locally which does. It's cheaper than buying just a few balls online as the postage increases the cost. I've stopped buying magazines, I might buy a couple a year these days, but this was too good an offer to miss. I'm looking forward to them dropping through the letterbox.

      Delete
  12. I've been to a few exhibitions and shows where the place is so big and so busy that you just get overwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope that Santa/Mick bought well! :oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick's very good when it comes to buying presents so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I knew there were lots of exhibitors going to be there but I didn't expect it to be quite so big, still, there was a fantastic selection of merchandise.

      Delete
  13. This looks amazing, it would sooooo love to go next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely hoping to go back again next year, it was a brilliant day out.

      Delete
  14. I have been to Yarndale, too and it's also been my first time. I do share your feeling of being overwhelmed by the sheer enormous number of vendors and displayed goods. I just couldn't buy much as I didn't have any project in my mind, as well. Most of the yarn that was displayed was luxurious yarn you should know what to make from, I think. But I also got a lot of inspiration, so many things I would like to start with if I just had more time... Have a nice week, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a great day out even if we didn't purchase much. I enjoyed seeing all the fabulous yarny things on display and I got so much inspiration from all the projects. It's just finding the time for everything I want to make now.

      Delete
  15. Wow Jo!! It looks and sounds as though you had a wonderful time. So glad that you got to go this year and how great that Mick went with you and (hopefully!) made some little purchases. That really is nice of him isn't it. It looks as though everything was just amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a fabulous time. I did think of going on my own, but Mick's very accommodating and will usually accompany me if I ask him. I think he quite enjoyed it himself, there were lots of other men there so he didn't feel out of place. I think it was great that he came actually, it's given him plenty of ideas for Christmas presents.

      Delete
  16. I made plans a couple of months back to attend but unfortunately work commitments meant otherwise! I had persuaded Mike to come with me too! It was great to hear Mick went with you & there were lots of other men there too, I was worried Mike would stick out like a sore thumb even though he is quite chatty & would have made himself at home. I am definitely going next year, I'm glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you couldn't make it, it was the same for me last year as Daniel was heading off to university that same weekend. I was quite surprised by the number of men there, and they weren't all visitors either, there were lots of men on the stalls too, and I noticed one giving a spinning demonstration. It's great when men get involved. My grandma taught all her boys to knit when they were young and my dad used to knit some of my doll's clothes when I was little.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the tour, very colourful and inspirational, I can see why your head is buzzing with ideas, glad you had a lovely time and hope some of those goodies will be in your stocking xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much colour there, a real feast for the eyes. I'm really looking forward to going again now, I just wish the next one wasn't a year away.

      Delete
  18. How exciting, Jo. I'm glad you had a chance to go this year. I would enjoy it too, but I doubt I'll have be able to make it there. I'm glad to see it on blogs, though, and it looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd love it, it's a yarn lovers paradise. I've enjoyed reading people's blog posts about it and seeing their take on it. One thing's for sure, it looks like everyone had a great time.

      Delete
  19. You've got some amazing photos, Jo - and you showed me some things that I didn't see when I was there! The felt owl is beautiful, and I missed Lucy's autumn wreath completely - there was so much to see that you realise how much you didn't see when you look at someone else's pictures! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have spent a week there and still not seen everything. I loved the felt owl, it was such a large piece, just stunning. I realise now why a weekend ticket might not be a bad thing.

      Delete
  20. I ummed and aaahed about going, as we live near Leeds it's not far, but I knew I couldn't afford to buy anything so I have to be content looking at all the lovely pics. Maybe next year we could have a meet up of Yorkshire bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's still worth going even if you're not going to buy anything, it's a great day out and there's so much to see. I'm loving reading other people's blog posts about it and reading their take on Yarndale. I think a Yorkshire blogger's meet up would be great next year.

      Delete
  21. Glad you enjoyed Yarndale and wished I'd gone with you on Sunday. I met Fiona from Marmalade Rose and her felting is stunning. I didn't get much time there as I was with S-I-L who isn't all that interested in those things, though she thought it OK. I loved it and am glad I went. See you on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went on Saturday so we could have met up if I'd known you were going. I took a picture of the Marmalade Rose stall but it didn't come out very well, it certainly didn't show off Fiona's work at its best, it's just stunning as you say. I loved the rabbit and dandelion picture, that would be on my wall if I had the money to buy it, just beautiful.

      Delete
  22. I was there on Saturday - I agree there was a lot of inspiration. I only bought a crochet hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time. I think it's worth going even if you don't intend buying anything. The atmosphere was brilliant and everyone was so friendly, it must be because it was a gathering of like minded people.

      Delete
  23. I didn't make it this year. Looks like you had a good time, I like the colors of your stylecraft yarn, I bet the blanket is looking good. Are you nearly done with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've got many stripes left to do now, though I need to lay it out and look at it. I just find myself doing another row, I could be very close to finishing now, then of course I've got the border to do, which I hate.

      Delete
  24. Well what a full on day you had! I bet Eleanor would love that giraffe. A lovely place to get some shopping done, lets hope some things you pointed out do get on Father Christmas' list!
    And that blanket with the ice creams on is amazing, you have to make one of those.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor would love the giraffe, I don't think I'm clever enough to make it though. I'm sure that some things from Yarndale will make their way in to my Christmas stocking, Mick's very good with presents and I usually get lots of lovely things. I absolutely love the blanket, I will have to give it a go in the future.

      Delete