Saturday 4 September 2010

Knitting

I have started knitting again this year after a break of over twenty years. I used to knit when I was in my teens but got out of the habit as I got older. After reading My Knitting, Allotment and other Witterings Blog where Mandy regularly blogs about socks which she has knit, I fancied having a go at knitting a pair of socks myself. I have never knit in the round before so I sought out a sock pattern which is knit on two straight needles. The pattern I found was Sirdar Crofter DK and I found it very easy to follow. I knit a pair of socks for Eleanor and also a pair for Daniel. Eleanor's socks were in a small size so I had enough wool left over to make her a pair of wrist warmers too.

After this, I fancied having a go at knitting a pair of socks in the round. Mandy recommended I buy a sock kit from Get Knitted. The kit comprised a set of five double pointed kneedles, yarn, stitch markers, sewing needle and a basic sock pattern. Mandy offered to help with anything I got stuck with and gave me some tips to get me started. It was surprisingly easier than I thought it would be to knit with double pointed needles, though I did have a couple of mishaps along the way. I started off by knitting a pair of socks for myself, then a pair for Daniel and a pair for Eleanor.

Sorry about the picture of Daniel's socks. No matter how hard I try I can't get the photo to turn round but you get the idea.


I'm currently working on another pair of socks for Daniel and also a beret for Eleanor, the pattern and wool for this was supplied as a free gift in Let's Knit magazine.

I'm really enjoying knitting again and I'm sure it will be a good hobby for the winter months.

2 comments:

  1. The socks are really lovely - great colours, I should think they were fun to do. Having posted earlier this week that I couldn't bear the thought of getting back to craft activities I dropped years ago, you've made me think again:-) Maybe I could do something small...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Scattered Gardener. I was really pleased that I managed to knit in the round and I'm definitely enjoying knitting socks. You should certainly have a go at a small project, I'm sure you would enjoy it as I have, and you might just catch the bug again.

    ReplyDelete