Sunday 21 December 2014

Unexpected Gifts

I get fed up of going to the letterbox after the postman has been and all that's there are bills or junk mail. Yesterday wasn't a day like that though, I had some fabulous post, I'm so lucky.

I went to pick Eleanor up from school on Friday and while I was gone, a courier had attempted to deliver a parcel. Daniel was in the house but he can't have heard the knock on the door as there was a card left to say they'd attempted to deliver a parcel and would try again the following working day. We decided that instead of another possible missed delivery, we'd collect the parcel from the depot. I had no idea what it could be so imagine my surprise when I found that the parcel contained the following items.


Jayne and Daisy from The View From Bag End has sent both Archie and I some lovely goodies. I was a huge fan of Kendal Mint Cake, a peppermint flavoured confection which originates from Cumbria where Jayne lives, when I was a child so I'm looking forward to breaking in to that and I know the Belgian chocolate will be delicious. It's the WW1 bar from the Sainsbury's Christmas advert, Christmas Is For Sharing. It's manufactured in Ypres, Belgium, and features period packaging. It's being sold by Sainsbury's this Christmas with all profits being donated to The Royal British Legion.

The silky hanger opens out to reveal pockets in which to store jewellery or trinkets. Isn't it lovely, and very unusual.


Thank you, Jayne and Daisy, both Archie and I are thrilled with our gifts.

When we got home from the parcel depot, the postman had been and there was a small pile of post by the letterbox. Amongst the Christmas cards was a Betty's gift voucher which Susan from Granny Smith's Quilting had arranged to be sent. I met Susan and her husband in September when they were visiting the UK. We managed a second meet up before they returned to Australia and this time, Anne from Marmalade And Catmint and her husband joined us. Susan had sent the gift voucher so that the four of us, Mick and I and Anne and her husband, could enjoy another outing together. Isn't that lovely of her. It's just a shame that Susan and her husband live too far away to join us.


Thank you, Susan, I'm sure the four of us will enjoy our treat at Betty's and you will definitely be with us in thought.

I'd just finished opening my post when I saw the Royal Mail van pull up outside. The parcel which the postman brought to the door wasn't totally unexpected. Lisa from Jumble and Jelly is a very good blog pal and we'd arranged just after last Christmas that instead of swapping Christmas gifts this year, we'd do a Twelve Days Of Christmas swap. We've bought each other twelve small gifts, one of which is to be opened on each of the twelve days of Christmas, thus extending the present opening. It's been fun looking for little gifts throughout the year to squirrel away for this swap. Aren't the gifts which Lisa sent wrapped beautifully. Each one is labelled so that I know which one to open on each day.


Lisa also sent me this beautiful little Twelve Days Of Christmas stocking. It's so cute and is now hanging from my tree.


Thank you, Lisa, I'm looking forward to opening each of my gifts.

I'm so grateful to be a part of the blogging community, I've never come across such a kind, thoughtful and generous bunch of people. A huge Thank You to you all.

28 comments:

  1. Wow, aren't friendships so lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made so many wonderful friendships through blogging, it's been a truly magical experience and I'd recommend it to anyone. I've come across so many lovely people.

      Delete
  2. Christmas has come early for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has, and it will be continuing right through in to January with the Twelve Days Of Christmas swap.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to receive such unexpected gifts. I wholeheartedly agree with your last paragraph. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still grinning from ear to ear, these wonderful gifts really made my day. I think a gift is even more special when it's unexpected. Bloggers are such a fabulous bunch.

      Delete
  4. {{blush}}. Absolutely LOVE the "12 Days" gifts from Lisa, please share what each of those cute little packages contains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I haven't embarrassed you, your gifts are such a wonderful gesture and I'm truly thankful for them and to class you as one of my blogging buddies. I think Lisa came up with a great idea for the Twelve Days Of Christmas swap, I always feel a little flat after the big day is over but the present opening will last for quite some time this year.

      Delete
  5. That's a great post day! How lovely. There are a bunch of truly kind and generous bloggers out there (including you!). I like the Twelve Days of Christmas idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone would think it was Christmas! I can't remember having so many lovely things arrive through the post on the same day before. Bloggers are such wonderful people, thank you for your kind words. I thought the Twelve Days Of Christmas idea was great when Lisa came up with it.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that must have been a lovely surprise all at once. I'm glad you liked your gift and that silky hanger from Jayne is gorgeous. I wonder what is in all the little packages? Lucky Archie too. Our parcel man actually came on Sunday this year, though it was only a package of cotton for me for the big machine, a colour I didn't have. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely surprise to have all those lovely things delivered on the same day. I've known our posties work on Sundays in years gone by, I don't think they do it any more though.

      Delete
  7. Now that's definitely better than junk mail and bills! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, I wish all my mail was this wonderful.

      Delete
  8. These are lovely gifts. You've made some very lovely connections with other bloggers. I'm glad we've connected too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some really lovely people in the world. If you listen to the news they'd have you believe that the majority of people are no good but I've had 100% the opposite experience of people in blogland. I'm glad we've connected too.

      Delete
  9. Gosh! You are so lucky, what lovely friends you have, isnt it wonderful how something small and totally unexpected can make Christmas so special. I am sure you will enjoy everything you have received. Have fun opening your Twelve Days of Christmas, I think thats a brilliant idea. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made some wonderful friends though my blog. It's amazing to think that something which started off as an online diary has grown in to something where such special connections are made. I'm looking forward to opening my Twelve Days Of Christmas packages, I've no idea what's inside any of them.

      Delete
  10. Wow! You've got such beautiful gifts. I love Kendal mink cake - we always get some when we're in the Lake District. I wonder if I could get to Sainsbury's for some of that chocolate. Probably not. And maybe just as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened the chocolate last night, delicious is was, you're missing a treat.

      Delete
  11. Christmas cheer through the post. What could be better?

    Have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't I been spoilt. Thank you. Merry Christmas and all the very best for 2015 to you too.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful and lovely surprise! So nice to get such nice things in the post isn't it! Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love receiving happy mail, it makes such a change from all the usual bills and junk mail. Thank you. Happy Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  13. It is brilliant when the post brings you such good stuff! Lisa must have been very busy.... what did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe how much lovely post I received that particular day. I'm only half way through opening Lisa's gifts but I've got some beautiful things so far, I shall post about them once I've opened them all.

      Delete
  14. Isn't that trinket holder unusual. Handy to take away items on holiday.
    How kind of your friend to arrange for the gift voucher to be sent to you, what a treat you'll have to look forward to.
    It was a surprise to see all those parcels again!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the trinket holder, it is unusual. I'm looking forward to going to Betty's, like you say, it'll be a real treat. It will be nice to meet up with Anne again too. All those parcels have been opened now and I love every one of them, thank you so much.

      Delete